Chili Mac and Cheese with Franks
This kid-friendly recipe comes together in about 15 minutes, and only requires a single saucepan. Add vegetables of your choosing to the base recipe – chile peppers, sweet bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, or mushrooms all work well – for a more grownup version.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 package Prairie Grove Farms Uncured Franks (4 links), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 8 ounces dry short pasta
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat and add the oil. Add the franks and the diced onions and cook, stirring, until the onions soften a bit, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and chipotle powder and stir together. Add the tomatoes, pasta, and water, stir together, and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer and cook according to the cooking time on the pasta package directions.
- Stir in the parsley, cilantro, and cheese and serve.
- Because the franks, canned tomatoes, and cheese all contain salt, the recipe doesn’t call for any additional salt. If needed, adjust the seasoning at the end before serving.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 521, Total Fat: 22.6g, Saturated Fat: 8.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 671mg, Carbohydrate: 56.2g, Dietary Fiber: 3.2g, Sugars: 4.8g, Protein: 24.2g, Vitamin A: 16%, Vitamin C: 13%, Calcium: 23%, Iron: 16%