Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Chives
Boiling the garlic with the potatoes removes the bite, providing nice background flavor that melds beautifully with the chives and bacon in these mashed potatoes. Select Yukon gold or russet potatoes for the best results.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 garlic cloves (whole)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cream (or milk or chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives (or green onions)
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Uncured Bacon (any variety), cooked until crisp, drained, and crumbled
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- When cooked, press the potatoes and garlic through a potato ricer into a medium bowl.
- Add the butter, cream, salt, pepper, most of the chives, and most of the crumbled bacon, reserving a bit of bacon and chives for garnish. Gently stir everything together until combined, taking care not to overwork the potatoes.
- Spoon potatoes into a casserole dish and top with reserved chives and bacon; serve hot.
- A potato ricer ensures a fluffy, light texture to mashed potatoes without overworking them. If you don’t have a ricer, mash by hand just enough to break down the potatoes, but do not whip or the potatoes will turn gluey. The potatoes can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered, refrigerated, and reheated to serve.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 202, Total Fat: 12.6g, Saturated Fat: 5.1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 344mg, Carbohydrate: 14.9g, Dietary Fiber: 1.3g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 4.2g, Vitamin A: 5%, Vitamin C: 3%, Calcium: 1%, Iron: 0%