Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
Serve this classic combination of Italian sausage in marinara sauce with peppers and onions over pasta, polenta, or in sandwich rolls.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sweet bell peppers (a variety of colors), sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups marinara sauce (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Sweet Italian sausage (4 links)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add the peppers and onions. Cook until slightly softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce and the chopped basil and stir together, then pour into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole dish. Nestle the sausage links into the pepper sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan before serving.
- To easily make your own marinara sauce, combine 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil with 2 28-ounce cans of no salt added diced tomatoes, 1 cup of diced onions, 4 minced garlic cloves, and 1/4 cup of basil leaves in a large stockpot and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree with a stick blender in the pot or let cool and transfer to a traditional blender to puree. Extra sauce freezes well.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 446, Total Fat: 24.3g, Saturated Fat: 8.4g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 628mg, Carbohydrate: 36.5g, Dietary Fiber: 5.6g, Sugars: 12.9g, Protein: 20.7g, Vitamin A: 27%, Vitamin C: 455%, Calcium: 28%, Iron: 25%