Jambalaya with Andouille Sausage and Shrimp
Andouille sausage and shrimp shine in this classic Creole dish. Control the heat of the jambalaya by adding the hot sauce at the end to taste.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Andouille Sausage (4 links), sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (see Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14.5-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can no salt-added diced tomatoes with juice
- Hot sauce
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat and add the butter and flour; whisk together and cook the roux for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Andouille sausage, rice, fennel, cayenne, oregano, bay leaf, broth, water, tomato paste, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the rice is fully cooked, about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice to prevent sticking. If the jambalaya becomes too thick, thin with a bit more water.
- Stir in the shrimp, cover, and simmer until the shrimp is cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat, remove and discard the bay leaf, and add hot sauce to taste. Let stand for 5 minutes before spooning into bowls and topping with fresh parsley to serve.
- To crush fennel seeds, place them on a cutting board and press down with the back of a spoon. For a variation on this classic jambalaya, substitute barley for the rice and add chicken in place of the shrimp.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 332, Total Fat: 19.2g, Saturated Fat: 7.6g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 104mg, Sodium: 588mg, Carbohydrate: 19.4g, Dietary Fiber: 2.2g, Sugars: 4.8g, Protein: 19.7g, Vitamin A: 14%, Vitamin C: 48%, Calcium: 7%, Iron: 11%