Paella on the Grill
Nothing beats the presentation of a large paella pan brimming with rice, sausage, and more. If you don’t have a paella pan, you can split the ingredients between two heavy bottom skillets. Pair with a simple green salad and some grilled bread for an easy summer dinner on the grill.
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Andouille Sausage (4 links)
- 1 cup finely diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (or other short-grain rice)
- 4 to 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken, cut into large chunks
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Heat the grill to high.
- Cut the sausage into 1-inch chunks. Set the paella pan over the grill to heat for a minute and add the sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage begins to brown and renders some of its fat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saffron to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rice, and stir until the rice is translucent, about a minute, and then add 4 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and then turn the grill to medium low, close the cover, and cook, stirring once or twice until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Check the rice and if it’s still too firm, add more chicken stock, and continue cooking until the rice is cooked through.
- When the rice is cooked and has absorbed the water, stir in the peas and then nestle the cooked chicken into the rice so that it will heat, and the shrimp over the top of the rice to cook. Close the grill, turn the heat to high, don’t stir anymore, and cook for a few more minutes just until the shrimp has cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- You can make the paella inside on the stove instead of the grill, and can vary this recipe by using clams and mussels instead of the chicken and shrimp, or by adding other vegetables.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 654, Total Fat: 22.7g, Saturated Fat: 7.6g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Sodium: 771mg, Carbohydrate: 64.6g, Dietary Fiber: 3.7g, Sugars: 5.8g, Protein: 43g, Vitamin A: 9%, Vitamin C: 15%, Calcium: 5%, Iron: 13%