Smoked Sausages with Black Bean and Cilantro Rice
This easy dish comes together in less than 30 minutes. Although cilantro is a key ingredient to add flavor to the rice, you may substitute chopped parsley or chives if you are unable to eat cilantro.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion, about 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water (or more as needed, see Notes)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Smoked Uncured Sausage (4 links)
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, salt, and rice and stir together for about 30 seconds. Add the water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in the black beans and most of the cilantro, reserving about a tablespoon for garnish. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside to stay warm.
- Add the remaining oil to a medium skillet over medium high heat and then add the sausages and cook, uncovered, until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Pour the black beans and rice into a casserole dish and top with the cooked sausage. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve immediately.
- Different types of rice cook differently, so be sure to adjust the amount of water and cooking time according to the package directions.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 622, Total Fat: 34.5g, Saturated Fat: 9.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 978mg, Carbohydrate: 58.8g, Dietary Fiber: 6.3g, Sugars: 6.2g, Protein: 20.9g, Vitamin A: 1%, Vitamin C: 5%, Calcium: 8%, Iron: 15%