Use any creamy winter squash – butternut, acorn, delicata, or even pumpkin – in this hearty winter soup.
Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup with Apple Gouda Sausage
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 package Prairie Grove Farms Apple Gouda Uncured Sausage, sliced (4 links)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the squash and fennel with olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, and then roast until the edges begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic cloves to the baking sheet and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from oven and transfer to a medium saucepan. Add the onion and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the sliced sausage.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree the soup in the pot using a stick blender, or allow it to cool slightly and then puree in a traditional blender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and add the browned sausage, making sure to add any pieces of apple that have come loose while browning. Ladle into bowls and top with chives.
- To save time you can simply simmer all the vegetables in the stock until tender and then puree the soup, but roasting the vegetables first creates more depth of flavor.
- Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 419, Total Fat: 35.1g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 1446mg, Carbohydrate: 24.3g, Dietary Fiber: 3.7g, Sugars: 9.1g, Protein: 18.8g, Vitamin A: 153%, Vitamin C: 44%, Calcium: 12%, Iron: 12%
Prairie Grove Farms https://www.prairiegrovefarms.com/