Favorite flavors of the Mediterranean come alive in this gyros-inspired sandwich. Marinated strips of pork roast quickly in a hot oven and are then tucked into a pita pocket and topped with a yogurt-cucumber dressing.
Gyros-Style Pork Sandwich
1 pound Prairie Grove Farms Boneless Pork Loin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 2 pita loaves, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Cut pork crosswise into think slices; then into strips 5×1/2-inch.
- Place in self-sealing bag.
- Combine olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and oregano; pour over pork.
- Cover and refrigerate 1-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, pepper and dill. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drain marinade from pork, discarding marinade.
- Place pork in single layer in shallow pan.
- Roast until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Open each pita half to form a pocket.
- Distribute pork among each half.
- Top each sandwich with some yogurt dressing and onions.
Adapted from Pork Be Inspired